Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Christmas Box for 14 inmates

Today I brought my annual Christmas goody box to the St. Clair County Jail. I have been donating this gift every year since the year my own son was an inmate. I have donated every year since then in honor of one mother who might not be able to donate for her inmate son. Every year I struggle with this & think I probably won't do this again next year because they don't really want the donation and because it really creeps me out every year to go to the jail by myself. But this year I brought enough for 14 inmates to each have a few drinks & a few snacks. This is the only time of year the inmates can have food & snacks from the outside! They distribute the goodys to the inmates on Christmas Eve. It's so sad to me. Every year nobody wants to accept this gift box. Every year they tell me I can't leave it unless I have an inmate. Every year I say I Don't have an inmate, but here's the box in honor of one mama who wasn't able to bring a Christmas box to her son, Merry Christmas. I put the box on the floor and leave. Every year! This year I said I don't have an inmate but  I'm leaving this box for one mama & one son & also for 14 inmates as 14 acts of kindness in honor of 14 victims of San Bernadino. I put the box on the floor and turned to leave. As usual every year & again this year the guard looked at me like I'm crazy. Someone over the speaker said mam what is your name? I said I'm Mary Butler & I'm wishing you a very Merry Christmas. She said Oh OK! Hmm. As I was leaving & heard that slam & click of the big heavy locked door. I was still creeped out but I was 14 times happier that I did this again this year! #14actsofkindness #14acts #14MerryChristmasWishes #TisTheSeason #BeKind #HashtagThe60s #MaryButlerMerryChristmas

No comments:

Post a Comment