Sunday, June 1, 2014

Marathon Training in #the60's Starts Today!

Hello June 1st! Hello Marathon Training! Let's get this party started! So who runs a marathon in #the60's anyway? haha! We do! Since me and Mr. Husband are BOTH in the BIG Six-O's now, we figured we might as well do something really spectacular! We both decided to make some changes! Getting very healthy was tops on the list. Oh, all the other things fell in next, like hitting the jackpot, winning the lottery, taking month long trips & cruises to every nook & cranny of the world, you know the stuff you dream about your whole life! But if you break it down into simple terms, we need to be around to be able to enjoy all that other fun stuff! So.....the goal for #the60's is to get healthy!

We registered for the Walt Disneyworld Marathon. January 11, 2015. Yup. If we're going to get healthy, we might as well have fun! And of course, for us, anything that has the word fun in it, usually has the word Disneyworld too!

I have actually ran the Walt Disneyworld Marathon twice. First in 2011 and then again in 2013.  The first time was so much fun. The second time I struggled. But I did it. Johnny & my grandson Mason followed me around the course taking pictures and chEARing me on so he basically ran a marathon of sorts that day too! But this time we're doing it together.

We're using June as a warm up month. We've got an easy schedule. Sunday's & Friday's are rest days. Monday Tuesday Wednesday's are easy 3 mile runs. Saturdays are 4-5 mile runs. Then July will progressively move forward with a few more miles each week.

I have worked a lot this week, so I started Sunday out with no alarm clock! When I woke up and fixed a cup of coffee my hubby was lacing up running shoes and heading out the door. Without me! He started the training without me! So I hurried through my coffee thinking 'what about Sunday REST day? Really, 3 miles today? What about the REST?' Oh well, he was gone & circling the neighborhood!  Might as well finish my coffee! I laced up my own running shoes and finally caught up with him just as he was finishing his last few steps! I guess I need to review the schedule with him again! Specifically that REST word!
Marathon Training! These are the shoes of marathon runners!
I got my miles in a little later at our local Lakeside Park with a friend. Johnny took a short nap and spent the afternoon doing guy stuff!  I'm glad the training has started! I guess you could say we have taken our first steps toward getting seriously healthy in our 60's! 
I'll be wearing my Mouse Ears alot! I'll try to be serious!
Join us over the next several months as we pound the pavement! Come run with us! We've got a long way to go! The goal is 26.2 miles! See ya at the finish line!

peace, love & Grandmary


1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Yes, the #60 does something magical if we let it! Can't wait to follow your journey with Hubs!

    ReplyDelete