Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Getting ready to be Thankful

Thanksgiving Dinner. A very long time ago, I moved Thanksgiving Dinner to the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I can't even remember when!  I'm a nurse and sometimes had to work on the 4th Thursday in November. Just another day in the hospital!

When our kids were little, school was out from Wednesday through Sunday, if I was off work for the long weekend, my husband Johnny would take the same days off work and we would take off to Disneyworld. It was a great time to travel. Disneyworld used to be kind of quiet back then!  They would have a few things already decorated for Christmas, not much, so it was a little bit of Christmas Magic too!

So it just made sense to change Thanksgiving Dinner to a different day! And it still happens. We have added in lots of extra people besides 'just us'! Of course, all the in-law kids and grandkids are here, along with a few neices & nephews & their families. A few of my husbands cousins come and my sisters and some of their kids & grandkids sometimes come.  Our max was over 40 people a few years ago when I added in a 60th birthday party & Retirement party to surprise Johnny!  This house was packed!

There is always food and plenty of it. Everybody brings something. I fix the usual Turkey & Dressing with all the trimmings; lots of veggies and the all time favorite Macaroni & Cheese.  I honestly think I could just cook two or three big glass dishes of Mac n cheese, add right out of the oven yeast rolls, a couple of pumpkin pies and ring the dinner bell!  

I really love this day! I love for my house to be full! I love that my kitchen is overflowing with food & fellowship! I love that for one day, when everyone and everything comes together, it has that 'one big happy family' kind of a feel to it!  And for that I am thankful.  xoxo Peace Love & Grandmary




No comments:

Post a Comment